Sunday, October 10, 2010

Zone 1

Just planted some lovely tomatoes bushes in Zone 1 of our garden.  Part of our Zone 1 is in the front of the house as this is the easiest to access and faces north-east (Southern Hemisphere).  I have always been interested in Permaculture.  Permaculture uses Zones for efficient energy planning.  These zones can apply to farms or suburban gardens. The only modifiers are local factors such as access, slope, climate, and soil.  In our Zone 1, I have herbs and vegies that we use all the time such as tomatoes, parsley, chives, oregano, capsicum, lettuce, basil, calendula, rosemary, lavender, lime verbena, garlic, a lemon, a mandarin, a flame grapefruit plus a couple of pomegranates.  The part of Zone 1 that is in the front yard also contains climbing roses and geraniums for their beautiful flowers. 


I started by reading Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison. My copy is so worn out it has started to fall apart.  However I found that this book was more orientated towards farms.  I only have a small suburban block and I wanted more help with the problems facing organic backyard gardening.

I moved onto The Permaculture Home Garden by Linda Woodrow.  I found this more suitable for a suburban block and had great ideas on how to plan a permaculture garden in a suburban garden. I specially liked the Guild Planting idea for crop rotation in small places.

No comments:

Post a Comment